You could get Housing Benefit (or the Housing Benefit element of Universal Credit) to help pay your rent if you are on a low income.

  • Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent.
  • How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.
  • You can apply whether you are unemployed or working.
  • You are responsible for claiming any benefits to help you pay your rent.

Currently, your local council is responsible for paying Housing Benefit to residents who qualify, so you will need to speak to them directly to apply. Their Housing Benefit Advisors can assist you if you have difficulty completing the application form.

bpha Housing Officers can also help to give you an idea of what you may be entitled to. Although we are happy to assist, you should not assume we know about any Housing Benefit application you may have made or any changes in your circumstances affecting your claim.

Please keep us informed, particularly if you are in dispute with the council about the level of your benefit or your right to it.

If you have provided all the relevant documents to your local council and are awaiting your claim to be assessed please provide us with a copy of the receipt issued.  This will then assist us in making decisions in cases of rent arrears accruing.

If you claim benefits – it is likely that you will be affected by the changes introduced by the government in April 2013, which include the introduction of Universal Credit. Please visit this page for more information.

Your responsibilities

  • Make sure you understand your claim and keep it up to date.
  • Respond to any letters you get from Housing Benefit (we cannot do this on your behalf).
  • Inform your local Housing Benefit department of any rent increases.
  • If your benefit is cut, it is your responsibility to cover the shortfall.
  • Please be aware that you are in danger of losing your home if your account is consistently in arrears – get more information on this page.
  • Please speak to our Money Advice Team if you require any support with applying for Housing Benefit or would like advice on other benefits you might be entitled to.