Last year, 248 people lost their lives due to a fire at home. Many of these could have been prevented.

Everyday fire risks are present in our homes. Well-known risks include candles and cooking left unattended, covered electrical heaters, overloaded plugs, and cigarettes.

Stay safe from fire in the home

Here are a few ways to keep you and your family, friends and neighbours safe:

  • Smoke alarms are installed on every level of your home and you should make sure you can hear them throughout
  • Test your smoke alarms monthly – they could save your life, but only if they are working
  • Offer to test the smoke alarms of an older family member, neighbour or friend who needs help
  • Plan and practice how you’d escape in a fire and have a plan B
  • Most accidental fires start in the kitchen, so take care and never leave cooking unattended
  • Don’t overload plug sockets and adapters – watch out for loose wiring, scorch marks, and hot plugs and sockets
  • Keep heaters clear from curtains and furniture and never use them to dry clothes
  • Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully – put it out, right out.

Did you know?

  • You are over seven times more likely to die in a fire in the home if there are no working smoke alarms
  • Smoke alarms only take a moment to test but they give you and your family the best chance of surviving a fire.

By following these quick and simple steps, we can reduce the number of fatalities and injuries caused by accidental fires.