Hi, how can we help?

Get answers, help, advice and information as quickly as possible

Phone us

Customer service number: 0330 100 0272
Emergencies: 0330 100 0272
Rent payments: 0330 041 6497

Email: info@bpha.org.uk

Telephone lines opening hours

Monday – Friday: 08:00 – 18:00
Saturday: 09:00 – 13:00

Housing applications

The housing register has transferred to Bedford Borough Council Housing Needs Service. Contact them on 01234 718058 or visit myhomeoptions.org.uk/olp/

Best times to contact bpha by telephone

General details

bpha Limited

Head Office
Bedford Heights
Manton Lane
MK41 7BJ

Office opening hours

Monday – Thursday: 09:00 – 17:00
Friday: 09:00 – 16:30

For media enquiries, visit our News section.

Frequently asked questions

How do I pay my rent?

  • MyAccount – online via www.bpha.org.uk/myaccount
  • PayPoint – you can pay with cash or debit card at your local PayPoint outlet
  • Post Office – You can pay cash, cheque or debit card at a Post Office
  • Direct Debit – If you would like to pay by direct debit call 0330 100 0272
  • Standing Order- If you would like to pay by standing order call 0330 100 0272
  • Internet- Log on to www.allpayments.net free of charge, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Alternatively download their free app today.
  • Telephone- call 0330 041 6497 and follow the prompts

Please note for all payments you will require your 19 digit reference number on your payment card.

How do I report a repair?

You can raise a repair online via My Account


Call our customer services team: 0330 100 0272

How do I report an incident of anti-social behaviour?

bpha recognise that the bad behaviour of your neighbours, or the people living near to you, can have a negative impact on your quality of life. Anti-social behaviour (ASB) is generally described as ‘behaviour which causes or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more people not in the same household as the person causing it.’

Examples of ASB include:

  • Domestic abuse
  • Drug abuse and drug dealing
  • Harassment
  • Intimidation
  • Vandalism and damage to property
  • Litter, rubbish and fly tipping

What is not ASB?

  • Children playing ball games
  • Day to day living noises
  • Disputes about parking
  • One-off parties

Generally bpha will not become involved in these cases

If you are experiencing ASB you can report online via MyAccount or call 0330 100 0272

How do I move home/ apply for housing?

If you are looking for affordable housing in the Bedford Borough area, you can apply to join the Bedford Borough Housing Register via our online lettings website MyHomeOptions. You will need to register for an account and complete an application form.

If you have additional medical needs that are made worse by your current housing, we will send you the relevant form once you have completed the online application.

Usually only people with a high level of housing need can be housed in this way. To find out more about how housing need is assessed, how priority is decided and whether you are eligible to join the register, read the Bedford Borough Allocations Scheme Policy.

If you live outside of Bedford Borough you will need to apply directly to your own Local Authority.

Once we have received your application and confirmed that you are eligible, we will ask you for any supporting documentation we require. We will then write to you within 14 days to advise your priority and the size of the property you could be offered.

I have been successful for a property when can I move in?

When a property becomes vacant we send in void contractors to get the property ready for the new tenant. When the keys are returned by the contractor and the property is ready you will be contacted to arrange a convenient time to meet at the property to show you around and complete the necessary paperwork. It is during this meeting you will receive the keys.

If for any reason there is a delay in your property being ready we will keep you informed.

How do I report a change in my circumstances?

You can report a change in circumstance online via MyAccount or call 0330 100 0272

Can I get assistance with my rent?

If you are on a low income or in receipt of benefits you may be able to get assistance with your rent. You will need to apply to your local authority to see if you are eligible.

How do I end my tenancy?

If you wish to end your tenancy you will be required to give notice in writing. The notice period will be determined by the type of tenancy you hold. Please refer to your tenancy agreement. You are responsible for paying rent until the notice period ends and you have handed back your keys.

Keys must be returned to us on or before the date your notice expires, or you will be charged use and occupation charges until you hand them in. If you move out without telling us you will be charged rent from the time it is discovered you have moved out or until we have gained access to the property.

Can I buy my property?

We are currently awaiting confirmation of the changes which are due to be made to the Right to Buy scheme before we are able to advise tenants whether these changes will affect their eligibility to purchase their property. We recommend you contact us again once details of the scheme have been announced, which will be widely publicised in the media.

Can I add my spouse/ partner to my tenancy?

Your partner/ spouse if not on your tenancy can be added as a household member. Identification and proof of income will be required to support this. They would not be added to your tenancy except in exceptional circumstances.

I have a permission requests how do I submit it?

Permission requests are required to be submitted in writing via post or email.

Dependant on the request you will receive a written response to advise if the permission can be granted or not.

On occasion we may require further information before making a decision, in this instance we will write to you to request the additional information.

If the requested documentation is not received within 28 days of the initial request, bpha will assume that the permission is no longer required. Any subsequent requests will be treated as a new request.

Am I responsible for paying my utilities?

Tenants are responsible for the payment of all utilities which include gas, electric and water.

When you move in to your property you will be informed of who the current supplier is to your property. It is then your responsibility to contact the provider and set up an account with them. Should you wish to change provider you are free to do so.

Upon moving in if there is gas in your property you will be responsible for contacting TSG, 0800 111 4044, to arrange an appointment to have the gas uncapped.

Should you have any problems with your supply you will need to contact your provider.

Can someone speak to you on my behalf?

Yes however a third party consent will need to be in place before we can speak to someone on you behalf. To request a third party request form please call 0330 100 0272.

What is a mutual exchange and how do I apply?

One option available to you should you wish to move on from your property is to consider looking for another tenant (bpha or other local authority/housing association) who wishes to swap properties with you. This is known as mutual exchange.

You can search for a suitable partner on our free website, www.houseexchange.org.uk.

Once an exchange partner has been found you and your exchange partner/swill need to complete and submit an application form. Once all applications have been received with the required documentation you will receive a decision on whether the exchange can go ahead within 42 days.

I am struggling with money and cannot afford my rent

bpha have a dedicated team to support you with any debt issues you may have.
They can assist you to:

  • Look at your situation as a whole
  • Checking for financial emergencies
  • Assist you to maximise your income
  • Assist you to prioritise your debts
  • Decide on the best course of action for you
  • Negotiate with creditors on your behalf.

If you feel this support would benefit you call 0330 100 0272

How do I apply for a garage?

Any one can apply for a garage by completing a garage application form and returning it to us expressing your preferences for areas in which you would like a garage. You will be added to a waiting list and contacted when a garage comes up in your area.

You can download a garage application here.

What are my responsibilities as a tenant?

Sanitary ware and Plumbing:

  • Clearing blocked sink/bath/basin wastes e.g. anything put down by you
  • Clearing blocked toilets e.g. toys, nappies, excessive paper or anything else that has been put down by accident
  • Replacing/re-fixing toilet seats (with the exception of sheltered and extra care schemes)
  • Replacing plugs (and/or chains) for sinks, baths and washbasins
  • Repairing leaks/replacing washers on water supply and connection to tenant’s own washing machines/dishwashers. This includes any other plumbing not supplied by bpha
  • Connection of any appliances (washing machine, tumble dryer, cooker etc., including providing a bayonet fitting for gas cooker if one does not exist)

Please note, blocked sinks/baths/wc’s in blocks of flats should be reported to bpha in order to check that the soil stack is running clear, which may be the primary cause of a blockage.

Carpentry and Decoration:

  • Minor fixtures and fittings e.g. curtain rails, coat hooks
  • Minor repairs e.g. tightening loose screws, re-fixing cupboard doors etc.
  • Internal decoration, including following any repair carried out by bpha
  • Minor repairs to walls, including filling holes made by fixings or impact
  • Replacement of floor covering (bpha will attend to concrete flooring, floorboards and flooring in bathrooms and kitchens fitted by bpha only)
  • Repairing or replacing internal door handles, locks, latches and lost keys (including changing locks, replacing keys, providing new fobs and any additional keys/locks required, except locks on bathroom/toilet doors)
  • Repairs, where necessary, after alterations, improvements or other work you have carried out or organised
  • Easing/adjusting internal doors when you have installed flooring/carpets
  • Replacing/repairing any items you have not properly looked after or which your family or visitors have damaged. This includes anything damaged by neglect or abuse (e.g. worktops, doors, windows, floor tiles etc.)

Electrical and heating:

  • Testing and replacement of batteries for smoke alarms (if fitted), including periodic cleaning/vacuuming of smoke detector to ensure sensor is free of dust
  • Replacing light bulbs, fluorescent tubes and starters, including security light bulbs
  • Re-lighting pilot lights
  • Ensuring any gas appliance of your own is serviced annually
  • Setting your heating controls, including re-pressurising boilers and bleeding radiators

Please note, bpha reserves the right to charge tenants for any call out where the cause was the tenant’s responsibility. Tenants are recommended to ensure that they have checked all appliances before contacting bpha for an electrical failure as this is the main cause of tripping fuses.


  • Repairing or replacing all broken glass, including double glazed units and window handles (bpha will board up broken windows for security reasons).
    Please note, bpha will always attend to any situation where a property is insecure and this may be recharged back to the tenant.
  • Repairs/replacement of windows and doors following damage done by a third party (e.g. forced entry by intruder, or emergency services). bpha advises tenants to take out adequate home Insurance.


  • Keeping your garden neat and tidy, including maintaining shrubs and trees
  • Repair and/or replacement of party fences and gates i.e. those separating one property from another and/or not adjoining a public footpath or road
    Repair or replacement of rotary driers
  • Maintain garden sheds that have been gifted or purchased by tenant
  • Pest control i.e. wasp nests, rats, ants, flies etc. Please note, where birds have been nesting in a roof or eaves, the birds must have fled before reporting to bpha to repair any damage done
  • Aerials and aerial points where there is no communal aerial

I pay a grounds maintenance charge but the work is not carried out?

There are two levels of grounds maintenance:

Level 1 (provided in 99% of our sheltered schemes)

  • Grass cut and collected every 3 weeks March to October
  • Shrubs/hedges cut back as and when required (Time of year allowing)
  • Litter collected on every visit
  • Tree maintenance Low level and removal of hanging branches
  • Leaf clearance leaves to be cleared once per month Nov to Jan
  • Weed control hard surfaces sprayed on every visit
  • Pavements cleared on every visit of moss, overhanging plants, ivy etc.
  • Edgings to be left neat and tidy on every visit
  • Ivy removed as and when required

Level 2

  • Grass cut every 3 weeks March to October
  • Shrubs/hedges cut back 4 times a year March, July, November and one other as and when required
  • Litter collected on every visit
  • Tree maintenance Low level and removal of hanging branches
  • Leaf clearance – leaves to be cleared once per month Nov to Jan
  • Weed control – hard surfaces sprayed on every visit
  • Pavements – cleared on every visit off moss overhanging plants ivy etc.
  • Ivy removed as and when required

If you notice the work is not being carried out when it should please call us on 0330 100 0272

Copyright © 2019 bpha Limited. All rights reserved. Bedford Heights, Manton Lane, Bedford, MK41 7BJ.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority

Last modified: January 24, 2019 at 9:11 am